Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cheese N' Sweet of the Week: Stracapra and La Panzanella Sweet Cinnamon Crisps

I am not a big fan of goat cheese.  I usually find it too gamey and barnyardy, but that's just me.  So when I find a goat cheese that I fall for, it must be really flipping awesome!  Stracapra, a semi-soft washed rind goat's milk cheese from Italy, has stolen my heart...for the time being.  It's made in a Tallegio style (another one of my favorites), formed in an 8-inch block, about 2 inches thick and washed in a brine while it's aged.  The result is not your typical pinky-orange rind, but a thin whitish-gray mold that encases a snow white paste.  Initially, the flavor is gamey, but it quickly turns to fresh salted butter with a hint of nuttiness at the end.  It's meaty and creamy on the palate, and the rind adds a desirable earthiness that shouldn't be ignored, even for rind haters.


This week's sweet is a package of La Panzanella Sweet Cinnamon Crisps.  Made in Washington, these crispy whole wheat flatbreads are sprinkled with a layer of cinnamon and turbinado sugar for a touch of sweetness and sparkle.  The texture is thin and crispy without being too delicate. They're perfect for breakfast or coffee in the morning, or a nice accompaniment for a creamy, mild breakfast cheese.  I like them because they're not over sugary, but satisfy that sudden sweet-tooth craving.


No comments:

Post a Comment